Thursday, January 26, 2012

Hysterscopy

Summary: No problems.

Before the procedure, I read the book, googled it a zillion times, and tried to be mentally prepared. For the most part, I was.  It was weird walking into a surgery room, usually I'm wheeled in, and for some reason it seems less foreign and scary vertically.

The office was a bit strange.  They have this huge room with blue lights they called the 'IVF' room.  It's huge and you walk past it to get anywhere in the office.  People moved around looking official and serious.  Large incubators (I'm guessing) emitted flashing lights.  It was strange to see and evoked unexpected emotions for me.

The surgery room had a small windowed door, maybe 8" square, leading to that room.  It was a bit uncomfortable because when I laid back and 'assumed the position' I was pointing directly towards that window.  After four miscarriages, modesty at doctor's offices is out the window (I always wonder why they bother leaving the room when I change) but it was still disconcerting to have a window pointed at me.

The process was as quick as they had said it would be.  It took maybe 10 minutes from the time the doctor arrived.  Afterwards, I felt dizzy and a bit shaky, (likely nerves).  I had minor cramping, but nothing to bad.  The doctor reviewed the results and we were out the door 30 minutes after arriving.

About 10 minutes later in the car, the cramping started.  I had taken 600 mg of ibuprofen as suggested an hour before, but it apparently wasn't working.  I went from talking to Gavin to a mess of tears in about 30 seconds.  The cramping was severe for about 30 minutes.  It was a short time, but for that short time was as bad or worse than anything I remember during my miscarriages.  I can't imagine if I hadn't taken the ibuprofen.  After that 30 minutes though, I was almost fine.  Still minor cramping, but nothing worse than a normal period.  I have no idea if that was normal or mental or what, but even now, less than 24 hours later, I am doubting if it actually happened, although Gavin has no doubt that I was in horrible pain for that short period.

I had minor bleeding and today I'm fine.

I don't know what's next.

3 comments:

  1. I am glad it's over for you. Also, it's good to know that there is no problems, but I know that's frustrating too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Why did they have to have the stirrups facing the door? Ridiculous. Glad things looked ok in your uterus. I always cramp horribly after that kind of thing--sorry it was so bad for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I was convinced something was wrong for a few minutes there...

    ReplyDelete